Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Treadmill Phenomenon

Yesterday was a very, very rainy day here in South Florida. Dan and I had a nice morning together, but he had to go into work around 11am.

I did some major house cleaning which felt awesome, and then I was finally able to finish my book. (Which, by the way, was the perfect atmosphere for reading. I was curled up on the couch, lights dimmed, candle lit, and listening to the rain and rumbling thunder.)

There was a little tiny break in the downpour and I thought, "If I don't go now... I"ll never go." But then another little voice in my head said, "But it's sooo cozy in here! You haven't had a day off of work outs since the 1st of the month."

But the foreshadowing of that feeling AFTER I finished my workout won out and I drove myself over to the clubhouse.

I ended up running a 5K in 29:26. But this is when my "Treadmill Phenomenon" comes into play.

I am able to run SO FAST on a treadmill. I upped my speed at each mile and by the end I was running a 8-something mile.

I can't do this outside! I don't know if it's because of the air-conditioned controlled environment, the ability to manually choose my pace and stick with it or what. I used to hate the treadmill, why would I want to stare at a wall for that amount of time when I could be outside in the fresh air?!

But somehow, someway.... the treadmill is winning me over.

2 comments:

  1. The more you practice your speed on the treadmill, the more it will transfer to outdoor runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right because I"m loving the feeling of the treadmill & the speed. :)

      Delete