Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Quick Recap: 2013

I had been working to get this posted yesterday but figured... why rush it? January 1 can still be a time to reflect on the past year, and THEN resume looking forward and setting (or adjusting) my goals for the new year.

I went into 2013 wanting to run more 5K's than ever before. Initially I wanted to try to do one a month, but that just isn't feasible in the South Florida heat. Even the races I chose to do not in the dead of summer proved to be very warm. 

Though I can't exactly say that I started off too strong with my goal because somehow I wound up not even being able to fit in a race in January! 

Then I took off on February.

February:
5 Guys Burger & Fries 5K
32:16
10:25/mile pace
4th out of 11 in my age group
128th out of 234 overall

This was the first race I've ever ran completely alone. No fellow runners and I didn't even have anyone at the finish line waiting for me. I was disappointed that I came in 4th; I could've placed! (Still waiting for that day to come.) But was proud of myself for getting out there & conquering it alone.

March:
Fast & Furriest 5K
29:00
9:29/mile pace
8th out of 15 in my age group
83rd out of 180 overall

Ali and I being strong!
This was a fun race; I got to travel over to the west coast of Florida to visit Ali & Matt, friends from Stetson University. We ALL managed to PR in the race which was pretty sweet. I still am confused how I managed to pull out a 29:00 and obliterate any time I've ever ran a 5K in.

April:
Heroes in Recovery 6K
36:22
9:47/mile pace
8th out of 38 in my age group
119th out of 470 overall


I was excited for this race since it was a strange distance. I didn't eat so very well the night before (excuses, excuses...) and when initially crossing that finish line I was hoping to see a better time. But after calculating it out and seeing my pace was still under 10 minutes/mile, I really wasn't upset with this time. I had my dad & Dan waiting for me at the finish line, too! It was a nice course through a park about 20-25 minutes south of the house. Ran by some lakes, horses grazing, an old rail road track... I'd love to run through there again!

May:
Eric Patrie Firefighter 5K
30:28
9:50/mile pace
20th out of 52 in my age group
172nd out of 408 overall

Hi!

Kim and me
This was a fun race and on a course I know pretty well: A1A. Out & back, flat. Kim ran it, too! It was HOT. Dan had to pour water on me upon completion of this race. Once again, that sub-30 has alluded me but I kept my pace below 10 minutes. (Really didn't realize how many races I did do that in till writing this post!)

June:
Tutu 2 Miler
Not timed

This was just a fun race that Dan, Melissa, Kim and I all ran together. It was a couple of "firsts". It was Dan's first race (though it wasn't timed with chips, I still consider it a race.), and it was also my first evening race. And let me tell you; I won't be signing up for any more evening races any time soon.

I'm sure this being at the end of June didn't help anything, but it was ridiculously hot! It was fun just to be silly, wearing our tutu's and running with friends though.


September:
Jeff Annas Firefighter 5K
30:00
9:40/mile pace
29th out of 88 in my age group
519th out of 1128 overall

Yes, heartbreaking to see the sub-30 time once again THAT close. But I was actually surprised I was even this fast. Again, I didn't eat very smart the night before and it was a warm morning out. Though I really can't say much because some of the firefighters ran in their full fire-proof gear (and still beat me!) I really have to respect them. I think this was the biggest race I've ever participated in which made it really fun. It was a great atmosphere and a mostly shaded course anyway.

Finding my own little spot in the crowd!

Cooling off in the ice chair after the race

October:
AVDA Race for the Cure 5K
30:08
9:43/mile pace
7th out of 27 in my age group
168th out of 445 overall

My first ever 5K (back in 2009) was the AVDA race so I was kind of excited to run this race again. I finished in 32:26 back in 2009 so yay me for beating that! This is the same course as the Firefighter one in May: along A1A. Some of the trainers from Slash Fitness also came to this race so it was really fun to see other familiar faces along the course as well as at the finish line (plus my dad there cheering me on.)

Also since stopping domestic abuse is my sorority's philanthropy, the local alumni chapter had a group together so I met up with a couple of them to say hi & meet some sisters prior to the race. However, I ran on my own for the actual race portion.

Passing through!
December:
It's a Wonderful Run 5K
32:10
10:23/mile pace
7th out of 9 in my age group
142nd out of 274 overall

This was a last minute decision and I'm really not sure what's to explain why the drastic change in my time. It was stupid humid out (of course a cold front came through that evening.) I really enjoyed the race route though. Took some back sidewalks so you're away from the road a bit. My friend Jon won the entire thing with a time of 15:37 and broke the record for the course.


All in all, this year I was pretty physically fit. I keep a calendar each month and mark down my workouts each day and put X's through the days I skip. I HATE seeing the X's and I've found this method really helps motivate me to continue working out. I've been loyal to Slash Fitness and couldn't imagine NOT going there now. It has improved my endurance and certainly my strength (mentally and physically).

Here's to an even stronger 2014!

2 comments:

  1. What awesome recaps. You had a really solid year. I like your calendar idea!! I may steal that...but I have to get a calendar, first! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www.printfree.com, and then i just choose the monthly calendar. quick, easy & free each month!

      Delete